Today is my birthday and this year I shall be blowing out 28 candles on my cake. Well probably not, normally my Mum just gets us one candle for good measure, but at least its better than nothing.
So do I feel 28? In some respects I can’t believe I am now most definitely nearer to 30 than I am 20 but yet sometimes I feel a lot older than my 28 years. As Mr E is five years older than me, a lot of our mutual friends are older, and also a lot of my baby friends are quite a few years older than me, so sometimes when I say I still have two years to go until I am thirty it seems quite strange.
Last year I celebrated my first birthday as a Mummy which was incredible, and the year before that Mads hadn’t even been ‘made’ so it really shows you how quickly time flies.
Birthdays before Mads normally involved going out and drinking copious amounts of alcohol or in recent years going out for a nice meal with Mr E. Nowadays they are somewhat more subdued but still it is nice to celebrate the day you arrived into the world.
I do wonder what will happen in my 28th year, after all how can it top the last couple? At 26 I got married and at 27 I had my little girl. Who knows what is on the horizon for our little family, but i thought I would do a list of 28 achievable goals to complete this year. Hopefully on the day I turn 29 I will look back and have them all crossed off the list.
1. Paint the door in my living room– Just before Mads was born we decided to get a lovely new glass door for our living room, mainly to keep our cat out at night. We unfortunately decided to rehome the cat as it wasn’t fair on him with a screaming mini person in the house, but 14 months later I still haven’t managed to paint that bloody door.
2. Go out for a meal in the place we got married- We got married in a beautiful boutique hotel and brasserie near where we live and we used to go there a lot. However since we moved and little Mads has come along, we don’t have the time or the money to go anymore as it is quite pricey. I am setting a goal to go there for dinner sometime this year.
3. Tone up my tummy- I have been saying this all year but I am still not happy with my tummy. I am going on holiday in June and want to be happy with myself so I can wear a bikini and not want to hide in the pool all day! I am a happy size 10-12, a 10 if I really breathe in or a 12 if I am comfy, but my tummy is just not toned nowadays.
4. Learn how to use my SLR camera- I love my big camera but I still don’t know completely how to use it. I am getting better but my aim for this year is to learn more about the mechanics of how my camera works. I would like to go on a course and learn more about it so I can stop being scared to take it off the auto setting.
5. Learn more Photoshop- Mr E is a photoshop whizz and I would love to learn more about it. Watch this space.
6. Try and make a little brother or sister for Mads– Obviously these are not in order of priority. A painted door is not as important as making a new addition to our family but at some point this year hopefully we will think about trying for another little monkey to complete us.
7. Work hard at my freelance work- I am so busy with it all but due to point 6 am not quite ready to make the step into freelance full time, although I think I could. Hopefully if I work hard at it, I will be able to solely concentrate on this over the next year or so.
8. Make sure I have a date night at least once a month with my hubby- Before Mads I would have laughed at the idea of a date night once a month, once or twice a week was much more realistic, but unfortunately since having Mads the months seem to be getting ahead of us. We do need to spend more time together just us two.
9. Get ridiculously p*ssed with my husband- We have not done this for ages. Sounds a silly goal of the year but whenever we do go out for a few drinks we normally are with friends or family. I want to go and ridiculously drunk with Mr E as we have such fun just laughing at silly things. Although I reckon I am a cheap date nowadays. I want to go and drink copious amounts of cocktails somewhere, although I definitely miss Leeds and London for going out.
10. Make the most of the summer time- Last summer was lovely but Mads was still so little. This summer I cannot wait to make the most of the weather with my little family. Think trips to the seaside, weekends away, days out and of course our holiday in June, I am going to really make the most of the time together just the three of us.
11. Add the finishing touches to our home– I love our home, we are so lucky to have it considering we bought in such tough times. We decorated it all and it does look lovely but it just needs some last finishing touches. You know those little things that make a house a home. We have been in it for nearly three years but it takes time and money to make it perfect. We have done a lot of work to it but it just needs those little extras.
12. Make Mr E happy- I adore my husband and I sometimes don’t realise just what he does for our family. I want to make him ridiculously happy- after all he deserves it.
13. Keep growing my blog- I adore blogging and all it has brought me, I want my 28th year to be the year my blog just keeps on growing from strength to strength. It is hard to believe on my birthday last year I hadn’t even started this blog yet.
14. Go for a weekend away with my husband- I want to leave Mads with Grandma, and head off for the weekend, just us two- a romantic, naughty, fantastic weekend away. Although knowing me it will probably be a night. Mads still hasn’t stayed the night away from us yet- she has stayed with Mr E a few times when I have been away with work but not just not without either of us. However she will be fine, she sleeps through anything, its just getting round to doing it.
15. Make more of an effort with my friends- Having moved around so much, most of my close friends live away from us and I don’t ring them or see them as much as I should. Life just gets in the way. However I need to make sure I make more of an effort to keep in touch, and not just through text/email/facebook.
16. Start Running- I need to start doing more exercise and I am not good with gyms. At some point this year I want to start running.
17. Cook more- Anyone who knows me knows I am not the best cook, although I have got a little better. Hopefully I will cook more this year.
18. Kiss Mads hundreds of times a day and tell her I love her constantly– Let her know that she is the most loved little girl.
19. Take Mads out in that really heavy rain you get and watch her surprised face- Jump in puddles.
20. Make sure I moisturise regularly– My skin is looking older, I need to take more care of it and stop taking my make up off with Mad’s baby wipes!
21. Try not to stress over small things- We all get stressed sometimes- whether it be over money, the house not being tidy, work etc. I am pretty good generally but need to learn to stop myself getting worked up over little things.
22. Take more photos of the three of us- I take photos most days but we don’t have too many of the three of us. I have bought myself a tripod so hopefully this year I will take more photos of my lovely little family.
23. Raise lots of money for the charity ball I am organising- Myself and three other girls are organising a ball in aid of our local hospital’s children’s ward. We are hoping to sell over 200 tickets and I am hoping that it will be a huge success and a night to remember.
24. Go to Alton Towers- I adore Alton Towers and used to go every year, however since being pregnant and Mads coming along we haven’t been. I need my rollercoaster fix, so need to go again before I hopefully become pregnant again. I also really want to go to Go Ape as I have never been- I am a small child at heart.
25. Have a professional photo shoot- We never got round to getting a professional photo shoot done of Mads when she was little and now I sometimes feel a bit envious when I see my friends and their photos of their newborns all scrumptious in photos. This year I would like to have one with Mads.
26. Buy a new iMac for Mr E- We certainly aren’t hard done by, we have an iPad and a brand new MacBook Pro, as well as an old iMac but I would love to upgrade it and get him (and me!) a snazzy new 27 inch one to do our design on.
27. Start collecting Disney DVD’s for Mads- Ever since I knew I was having a little girl, I was so excited to watch all the Disney films with her- think Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast and Alice in Wonderland. I want to collect them all for her so I suppose I should think about starting soon.
28. Above all enjoy every single second with my little family– I want to laugh until our sides ache, play until we are exhausted and live each day to the fullest. I don’t mean spending lots of money, or doing new things all the time- I mean the little things, like bath time in the evenings and making Mads giggle when we jump as she throws her rubber duck out the bath, or our cuddle time in the morning where we all hide under the duvet and Mads gives us lots of kisses. I just want to enjoy every minute of my beautiful little girl.
So there we have it. Small little goals that hopefully will be achievable, after all there is no point having unachievable ones as its not my bucket list. Thats a whole different list!
As I blow out the candles on my cake tonight, I will say a silent thank you to the world for bringing me my little family and for therefore bringing me such happiness. And I will make a wish, as I do every year.
And no I won’t tell you, as if you do it might not come true.
Although most of mine already have.0